Cameo is a soul-influenced funk group that was formed in the early 1970s. Cameo was initially a 13-member group known as the New York City Players; this name was later changed to Cameo to avoid a lawsuit from The Ohio Players, another group from that era. Since then, Cameo has recorded several hits records. As of 2009, some of the original members continue to perform together, while two others were hired by the hip hop group Outkast. Influences include the humour of Parliament-Funkadelic, contemporary funk bands like the Bar-Kays, Earth, Wind and Fire, Ohio Players, The Isley Brothers etc. and singers like Marvin Gaye, Billy Paul, Prince, Isaac Hayes, Stevie Wonder and Bootsy Collins. (bio found on Wikipedia) Click below to view Cameo’s video for their hit “Word Up”:
- What Was The Number 1 Song Among The Women At #WES2014?
- El DeBarge Performs Live at #WES2014 [PHOTOS]
- Roland Martin Breaks down Parent and Guardian Responsibility at #WES2014
- You Chance At $150 and #WES15 Tickets Is Here In Our Music Survey!
- Tina Knowles Goes In Paparazzi For Taking Picture of Her Grand-baby!